The sign

The sign
Thanks Dad !

Sunday 17 February 2013

Number 26- an unexpected opportunity - part 11

Camping! In a camping pod. In The Lake District. In the winter (between Christmas and New Year).
I heartily recommend a camping pod. We loved it. Mostly because when it was raining we didn't have to worry about a flooded tent or wet stuff. We have had far too many wet dog on sleeping bag camping trips to enjoy them anymore.
The Lake District was as beautiful as ever and the actual lakes were the fullest I have ever seen them. We stayed at the Grizedale Forest campsite. The camping pod in the forefront of the last photo is the one we stayed in. Like that makes a difference- but I was excited when I realised.

Our pod !!!
They are empty inside so you still need to take all the stuff that you would take if you were camping in a tent. We did try for a fire on the second night but everything was just too wet and it was more smoke (if only we had nuts/fish/cheese/other goods for smoking) than fire.


And the interior- Our sleeping mats are from Vango and were delivered by Santa. And very comfy they are too.
My sister had kindly furnished us with some cheese and biscuits (and pate for JGS)when we left The Homeland. After setting up camp we sat ouside (in full winter gear) with a very warm paraffin lamp and scoffed.


When we were planning the camping trip we did discuss climbing Helvellyn but when we actually got to the Lakes, the weather forcast was quite severe and we were lacking ice picks and crampons ! So we pootled around and met up with some friends and family. And went to do some shopping....

A very rainy (but pretty) Ambleside

And then the rain stopped- so we got out. Our mission was to find me a decent waterproof. My current one was purchased in a rush about 5 years ago and is falling apart. To the extent that even I was getting a little ashamed about wearing it out- and I am never bothered about clothes/colour/style co-ordination.

We purchased two outer garments for me- so celebrated back at the pod (ranch) with a little Glaver. But no cheese and biscuits.

I then settled down for some more mindless #2 by lamplight.

The next day we went out and about- In the distance is Lake Coniston. In the forefront is a new Lake Coniston- mini Coni? Which was a field last time I saw it ! The mind boggles at how long it is going to take for all this to dry out.

 

I think I might have compensated in this one post for the lack of photos recently....
We would definitely stay in a camping pod again. A brilliant unexpected opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment