The sign

The sign
Thanks Dad !

Monday 19 November 2012

Number 26 (part 6) an unexpected opportunity

JGS and I binned off work for the day when we went for 'Afternoon tea at The Ritz' and ticked another thing off the list (more later) and also took in two unexpected opportunities. This post involves the first of those opportunities.
One of my favourite things about London is the transport system. I love the Docklands Light Railway and when JGS and I were at university we did spend a lot of time pootling to Greenwich and back. Anyway I digress... We went to Stratford to check out our Olympic Park......

 
In the distance, behind the security gates is Olympic Park. Apparently there is a viewing platform in John Lewis but we couldn't go and look because I needed to buy anything from Liberty. I bought a pencil.
 
So, after Olympic disappointment we made our way to the first 'unexpected opportunity'......
 
 
I was so excited !!!!!!!! The cable car!!!!!!!! Although once we were in and it started to move off it appeared that my excitement stayed on the platform....
Oooohhh it is so high...........(note to self keep breathing..)

 
There were other people in the cable car, including a 11(ish) old boy. JGS must have thanked his lucky stars for these people because at this point.....


Which is quite high...... the cable car stopped. Stopped moving. The cable car just stopped. Well it stopped moving forward- it was still swaying (gently) from side to side. My mind went into overdrive and I was wondering how we were going to be rescued. In all honestly, I kept it together because  the 11 year old boy probably didn't have a list off  '11 things' he wanted to do this year and if he did ' being trapped really high in the sky in a swaying cable car that has stopped moving forward with a 40 year old woman yelling 'OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD' interspersed with 'WEAREGOINGTOFALLTOOURDEATHWEAREGOINGTOFALLTOOURDEATH' was in all likelihood was not on that list. And if it was mate- I am really sorry I couldn't get that one crossed off for you.
Anyway- after seconds of holding onto my hysteria really well, an announcement was made about how the 'airline' has to stop occasionally to let people on/off and a woman in the carriage laughed and said how this always happens. I did make a mental not to get in a cable car with her again in case it was her that made it happen. Even though it felt like hours after a few seconds we started to move forward again.
 
 
And I could concentrate on the view. Which was spectacular. This was looking back towards the Thames Barrier (can you see it in the distance? You might have to squint).
I did enjoy it but I was glad we only went one way. And when we got off at Greenwich I wasn't sure if I would do it again. Which I have been informed could get in the way if JGS and I ever went skiing.......
I think it was the fact there was noting underneath the cable car that freaked me out. Not the height itself but the fact that when you looked down there was nothing underneath you. But river (and it looked very blue).
But now, after writing this up I think I would love to go on it again.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment