The sign

The sign
Thanks Dad !

Sunday 9 December 2012

Number 26 (part 9) - an unexpected opportunity.

Since I ran the Race for Life (29 minutes you know!) and then ran a 10k (65 minutes- which sounds much more impressive than 1 hour and 5 minutes- well it does to me) I haven't really done much running. I decided I needed a rest and I thought running in the dark would be dangerous. But then at work I started to think how good it would be to go for a run after work and I began to think I should carry on running and get over myself about running in the dark (clumsy enough in the daylight- the pavements in the dark are lurking to suck in my ankles). So Chops and I went out a couple of nights late November and then I was idly looking on the interweb* and I noticed that there was a local Santa Dash happening at the weekend. 'How exciting- shall I enter? I thought, as I was busily typing in my details and completing my entry form.
The Santa Dash was a 5k and I really wasn't expecting any great shakes as I had only been running three times in the last 10 days and the furthest of those was 5k (but it was 33 minutes so I knew I would be ok time wise).
I dressed up warm on the day as it was quite nippy. I knew I was would be getting something 'Santa-ish' to wear as the entry form mentioned that there would be a Santa theme (and I suppose the title of the race gave it away). It turns out that when I was looking at previous Santa Dashes on the internet I had glossed over the fact that all the runners were in a Santa outfit. I thought 'how sweet' and wondered innocently how I would attach my Santa hat that I was bound to be given, on the day.

Imagine my surprise/panic (how much would this outfit slow me down- my mind thinks I am some sort of Zola Budd!) when upon registration I was given an actual Santa outfit. Hat, trousers, jacket, belt and beard.... Ho.Ho.Ho.


Man I was hot ! There were about 60 of us altogether. The route had changed as it had rained so much the previous day that some of it was still waterlogged. (I am getting used to the control-less aspect of running by now) and the route was now slightly less than the advertised 5k. It was now 4.5k and  4 times round a circuit as opposed to one route of 5k.

So off we went. It was good fun as there were people walking through the park just doing their normal Saturday morning stuff and then 60 Santa's ran past. As they do. I found running in clothes that are too big for me a bit annoying as I kept having to re-adjust myself whilst running. I know, I need to get a grip. So here I am... all bearded up. And not actually looking very impressed. I think this might have been after the race. My eyes do look defeated. But I really enjoyed it- it was my favourite race so far (out of the three I have done).

 
I kept my pace (thanks Women's Running) and halfway through the 3rd lap I passed a Santa and he asked if he could run with me as I had a good pace (!!??) and he didn't like being on his own. I said that was fine as long as he didn't mind me sounding like I am gasping for air as I tend to match my breathing to my feet (I have been reading this and I find the rhythm of my feet and breath help me switch off and move my mind) So we ran the next lap and then with about 25 metres to go he asked if I wanted to sprint finish (you have NO idea how professional I felt when he asked me that). I got the impression he thought he would leave me for dust. I did ask him if he was sure (he had never met me so he is unaware of the competitive beast within) and he was very nonchalant in his reply.
As a result, I didn't feel bad when I sailed past the finish line. And his family who were waiting patiently for him. To be fair he was only seconds behind me.

And my little runkeeper app told me that I had achieved a personal best- 4.35k in 26 minutes so I think it is fair to say that I would have beaten my Race for Life time. Slightly gutted that there is no official record of this.

So here is my Santa Dash medal. His outfit is better than mine.


* I feel I must add that whilst I say 'idly looking on the inteweb' I think what I actually meant to say was 'I was looking to see if there were any local races coming up' as I think I might be a runner.
There was no one to meet me at the finish line either as JGS commented that I was becoming some sort of 'glory runner' and he had stuff to do at work. So he dropped me off and picked me up afterwards. By which point I was leaning against a lamp post like some sort of bad Santa woman of the night. 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment