The sign

The sign
Thanks Dad !

Sunday 9 December 2012

Number 20 - Do a craft fair

I have always pottered about with sewing and making stuff since I was young. Then stuff sort of got in the way and all the making and creating got pushed aside. I started sewing again  a few years ago and made various things. JGS has also got in on the act and has made car seat covers, a welly boot bag (for me) and an awning for the side of the Landy. He is a much more a freestyle (gung-ho?) sewer than me . I worry about things looking rubbish. JGS doesn't seem to worry about things looking rubbish and they always turn out fab. Does this imply I think my things always turn out rubbish? I think that might be a conversation for a different blog.....  Anyways... my sewing machine and I have got on so (sew) well this year that I am going to dedicate a whole number 26  post- unexpected opportunity to sewing later on.
Back to the craft fair. So aside from sewing I also do a bit of felting and this year I wanted to add some crochet items to the mix. At the beginning of 2012 when I started this list, I had an idea of the craft fair I wanted to do and when. A place round the coat has one at Christmas time so I rang up and asked about a stall. Oooooohhh turns out I was going to have to make and awful lot of stuff to break even.... I got confused about the size of the stalls available but managed to un-confuse myself enough to understand the cheapest one would be about £100 for two days......  That is an awful lot of stuff to make (already I was going off the idea- once I have to do it I never find it as much fun) so I decided to think about it and carry on making some random stuff in the meantime (just in case..). This may not come as much of a surprise to you, dear reader(s) but I got distracted by other stuff (possibly the other 39 things on this list) and the activity of 'making stuff for a craft fair' sort of ground to a halt.
Then, out of the blue an opportunity arose in that a friend was having a craft party... did I want to take part?? Once I checked that she was not going to charge me £100 to stand in her kitchen, I was in. I had a mini panic over the fact that I did not have much stuff- I had a granny square cushion, some crochet brooches (I made the brooches last year sometime adapting this pattern from Lucy over at Attic 24-I love the stars) and I quickly made up some chicken doorstops. I did not have time to felt anything (least of all finish off the felt fish- number 31). So off I went.

All I needed to do was sell one thing and then I would have sold something at a craft fair.... There were other people there selling their wares, including some who sell in shops and at actual £100 a stall craft fairs. So I felt it was legit to class it as a craft fair.And maybe sign off number 20.. All I needed to do was sell one thing and then I would have sold something at a craft fair....

AND I SOLD SOME STUFF !!


 
 
I don't think I am going to be able to retire just yet. A lady who sells in a shop did take some of my brooches to see if they would sell in the shop though....

No comments:

Post a Comment