The sign

The sign
Thanks Dad !

Thursday 15 May 2014

BEDM. Day 15

In all my blogging life I have been waiting for a moment like this (that sounds like a song lyric). 
Today, something actually happened. Stuff obviously happens everyday but not this type of stuff. 
There were ducklings at work!! Eight of them. Count 'em
Now whilst the ducks might look happy they couldn't really stay. They were safe because they were in the courtyard so no cats or foxes could get in but it isn't really hygienic to have ducks wondering around at work. Plus there is no water nearby and nine fully grown ducks was chaos waiting to happen. 
So, in true gameshow style I phoned (emailed) a friend who knows about these things. And with the help of a sturdy box we went to catch the ducks. We caught mum first - she did give us the run around and then the babies came after. I ripped my dress on a rosebush (so spent the rest of the day - this was all going at 8am-looking like a Victorian street urchin ) and my friend looked like he had been through a hedge backwards. At one point, he actually did do that. We put the box in the corner when we had mum and three ducklings and then gradually the others came over and we could put them in the box. I say 'we' but I was more the Debbie McGhee role in this situation. 
By this point in time people had started to arrive at work so we had quite the audience watching us. One person even asked me if I had a net as that would be really useful!!?!
Once the ducks were safely in the box we put them in my office whilst we thought of a transportation plan. 
After about 10 minutes a car was sourced and by 9.30am the duck family were getting used to their new country home! 
Apparently some chickens were evicted so the ducks could move in. My afternoon report confirmed that all was well. They have gone to live with their fellow rescuer- who has a small holding so they are with their duck cousins and other animals.
Quack quack.

No comments:

Post a Comment